Sunday 27 March 2011

Fino A Domani, Venice


Fino A Domani, Venice, originally uploaded by flatworldsedge.

If you are feeling indulgent, please do view on black by hitting "L"! Definitely better in this case.

One more from our first night in Venice, back in October. Heavy rain and low light, combined with the wayward AF of the Canon 50mm f/1.8. This was shot on my old 300D, which kind of lost the plot around ISO 800. At the time, with rain, spray and mist coating the camera and lens, both plastic, neither waterproof, and with soaking wet feet, I viewed the whole evening pretty much as a write off. In fact. they're some of my favourite images from the holiday (previous posting linked in the comments).

As regards the name, I'm hoping the Flickr community can help by sourcing someone who speaks Japanese and Italian better than I. I wanted to call this one 明日があるさ, but this seemed the linguistic equivalent of mixed metaphors.

When I lived in Hiroshima I was told 明日があるさ (ashita ga aru sa) was an ancient expression meantime, "there's always tomorrow". In hunting down the script for this, I find it's the name of a semi-comical pop song. If any one could tell me whether my Japanese friends were having fun with me, or whether the expression came before the song, I would be extremely grateful and interested to know.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

See Fino A Domani, Venice on Flickr for additional comments and notes.