Tuesday 12 March 2013

Greta (Stranger #14/100), Venezia Fondamente Nove

Via Flickr:
Greta was walking to work along Venice's Fondamente Nove as I leapt off the ferry from the airport. I'd just fitted my new flash and softbox, and looked up, saw her walking past at point blank range and asked if I could take her portrait. Which kind of surprised us both, it happened so quickly.

She was very unsure - noting that her hair was in a state and that she was running to work, but she agreed to one shot. That meant no reflector, carefully chosen background or checking of the LCD. Having never used the flash for a stranger portrait before, you can imagine I was just a little relieved with how things came out.

I'm a huge fan of purple and turquoise as a combination, and so the combination of the hazy Venetian canal and Greta's insanely appealing hair really pleases me! In the little chat we had Greta explained she was a Venetian local, so I'm really happy the shot places her there.

Greta - I hope you like your portrait. Grazie mille! Thank you for being part of my 100 Strangers Project. I really appreciate your stopping on a busy morning.

Greta spoke English, but the whole trip was made massively easier by my kind colleague Davide Bussola who invested a lunchtime translating some key 100 strangers project phrases with me.