Saturday 5 October 2013

Beauty & The Beast (In Camera Lightpainting), Terme Topolšica

Via Flickr:
Please see the SOOC version in the comments below - there's some photoshop in the image above - all the lines are 100% in camera, but I did have to remove ghosts of me doing the painting.

This was the first of my recent Slovenia lightpainting series. I'd gone out for a stroll with the camera in the evening, and liked the backlit scene in this park next to the Hotel Vesna where we were staying. The trees are oddly wrapped in knitted garments, and there was a neat central European vibe to the distant building. Especially when I put the camera on the grass amongst the fallen leaves, it had the feel of being outside an archduke's palace, with drifting strains of the ball barely audible over the whisper of the night.

The scene needed something to bring that to life, hence my first lightpainting in a year or so.

Like a couple of others in the series that followed, I wasn't suitably attired - and so, especially with light spill from using a sock as a diffuser on my torch, you'll see below that I made it into shot. Removing me was a nightmare - using source data from a blank "no lightpainting" image taken afterwards, then using the brush tool at varying sizes and opacities to blend in the flare. Not perfect, but good enough to my eye.

I hope everyone's well and having a fantastic weekend.