Thursday 9 January 2014

Running Lights (Rialto Bridge At Midnight), Venice

Via Flickr:
A long exposure from last December's Venice trip. I still have a number to post, delayed only by the thought that the sky could be better shot. Taken just a little earlier in the night, with just a little more light and cloud movement in the sky to balance the image.

That said, as I played around in Photoshop I found I quite liked this original version - with the darker sky. There's a brooding, claustrophobia-inducing weight to it, closing the image in, which is lost as the sky brightens to become a feature itself.

Nonetheless, next time I'm in Venice I'll certainly head back here to shoot again. There are some with vaporetto light trails I'll post later in the week too, but that effect can be a touch too heavy handed - the trick will be finding a brighter sky without too much river traffic... Maybe that calls for a summer visit, something I try to avoid! Venice for me is always better in the rain.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying a fantastic January so far.