Sunday 30 December 2012

Trajectory (Wire Wool Spinning & Star Trails), Jurassic Coast

Via Flickr:
This is a wire wool spinning shot from Winspit Cove on Dorset's Jurassic Cove. The trail up to the spinning is torch/flashlight as I groped my way up the piled rocks. That is my one regret with this shot. Re-assessing things, that is my one regret with this image; I think it might have worked better if I'd used the flashlight to light the path up, then put a diffuser on it and concentrated on making sure there was a clean, single line the whole way back down. At the moment I think it's a little too patchy to be really effective.

It's another shot with the assistance of the Hooded Accomplice. It's a kind of lonely location, and this was also quite a bit of work to pull off - not least eighty odd flashes with a red gel to bring out the texture of the rock around the bowl of the quarry. We both feel the foreground rocks probably picked up a bit too much red from this exercise; re-shooting I think we'd try to mask out the bottom of the frame with some shaped black card to avoid this.

There's just one key piece of processing to note; in photoshop I masked out the sky and wire wool trails overlapping it, then changed the white balance. That helped the quarry and trails stayed red, whilst bringing out the blue of the sky for a little more interest. Apart from that it's all in camera.

Hope everyone is fantastically well.